Tuesday, March 08, 2005

A New Day

These past few days an alarming sense of change has been overwhelming me. As the immortal Jerry Garcia once said, “It’s been a long, strange trip.” Indeed it has, although kinda short… my trip was not that of hallucinogenic proportions – on the contrary – it’s been one comprised of a summer in Mexico, a week in the modern day Babylon (also known as New York City), side trips throughout my beloved Califas, coffee shops, spoken word events, dinner at my dad’s place, a lot of time hanging out in my El Monte apartment with good company, cold Henies, little sisters, great books, Halo 2, and excellent DVDs – “Begin to look!”

A new trip is about to begin… one that I’m not all that interested in. That’s right, the job hunting has begun and it’s picking up steam at a rapid pace. The corporate environment awaits… I guess that’s why it’s so difficult for me to get all that excited. True, the day to day interaction and overall feeling of accomplishment can have its benefits… but nothing cleanses the soul like months away from the rat race, traffic jams, fast food lunches, “good morning” greetings… wait, I’ll stop there – I’m already getting depressed.

So I say goodbye and wish for the days I’ve treaded these past few months to return faster than you can say, “Leave a message and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.” Maybe that’s what Fox News “analysts” mean when they say… “They hate us for our freedom!” Because the freedom I’ve had is damn near worth killing for – I tell no lie. As I dust off my Khakis, slacks, and polo shirts, I hope my soul can brace for the fall. I think of caged animals, married folks, prison inmates and CEOs - trapped in a world with limited time, infinite space, hope, and will… and still nowhere to go.

2 Comments:

Blogger mj said...

brrrrrr. . . that's a cold, cold world you conjure, and i am too familiar. good luck with the job hunt, man. i trust you will find something that suits you, something you find tolerable. and, i encourage you to dream of the clothes you want to wear, the work you want to do, the environment you want to be a part of, and the reality you can create.

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For what it is worth, I gave you a good reference today. The girl on the other end of the phone asked, “What can you tell me about Lucio that would set him apart from others?” At the end of the conversation glowing with adjectives like “bright”, “articulate” and “motivated” I wondered what job they were going to peg you into. And I felt regret; like I had done you a disservice.

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home