Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Girl Soldiers

Despite the fact that these last 27 years of life have been everything but perfect, it (life) has a funny way of turning tragedy, sadness, insecurity, fear, hate, sorrow, and hopelessness into the exact opposite. The arch rivals and nemisis' to all things pessimistic rule, what many refer to as a soul, by way of brute strength - my soul that is. As if a devine being is reminding me of an inside joke, winking, nodding and reminding me there's a reason for this.

I keep these things in perspective when dealing with emotional, psychological, or just plain physical pain. Blessings from above, below, and in between are absorbed by this protaganist like Tori Amos lyrics in a thoughful head. We've had bumps in the road... some more than others. A few of us stumble across those of Mt. Everett proportions, but the human spirit triumphs.

The past is just that. What we take from it should be one thing and not much else - cliche as it may be... we learn. Some learn to love, hate, speak, think, etc... but we learn to live in a non-forgiving world. In a world that prizes all things superficial. What's real is left for the rest of us, thank GOD/Allah/Jesus/your GOD/no god for that.

I say this because my sisters remind me of what's important, of why life has been and continues to be important - not that I ever thought otherwise. I do know what it's like to raise a child without having my own - these little girls turned women are proof to that. Don't believe me? Ask 'em. I'm thankful for those moments of being afraid of what life will be like without those important to me. I'm thankful for these little soldiers of life that have my back throughout this war we call life. This undeniably winable war.

As overly optimistic as I may seem, I am not... I am as real as they come. As real as I can humanly be even if that hurts, inspires, or offends. A fool I am not for believing in a GOD, in a supreme being that always gives me the last laugh - that lets me hit a home run and jog the bases with a smirk on my face even though I know it's wise to be humble. Time isn't the only thing on my side...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home