Tuesday, June 14, 2005

The Last Night

Do you remember the 2nd to the last night before your first day of school? The last night of complete freedom – not the night before that dreaded Monday, but the last night you were allowed to stay out after dark, stay up after 11PM, wake up at 10AM the next day, eat a bowl of Apple Jacks for breakfast and Fruit Loops for lunch?

In an ideal world, that night would replay itself over and over until one day, we pack up, say goodbye, and clock out – on our terms. Since life never plays out as ideal, the next day becomes reality and we try to recreate that utopia through drugs, books, movies, alcohol, material goods, children, love, sex and so on (notice love and sex are separate – let me add something to that real quick – c/s).

I reminisce and dream because as I type this piece, that night is here. Having spent approximately 10 months away from the daily grind, I return on Wednesday and I must admit I feel mixed emotions. I’m excited because of the new experience – I’m a definite “new experience” whore for that matter, but I’m also saddened by the loss of freedom and need for clocks. I’m relieved that ends will meet without a snag and my travels will begin anew – I forget plane rides aren’t free.

Overall, I’m looking forward to this new job. My happiness stock will surely increase – with dividends paying off by way of Friday night Dodger games with my boys. Everything happens for a reason whether we like to admit it or not. These nights wouldn’t be the same if it were not for those ‘in bed by 10PM’ nights we’d rather do without. Green lights look better after a string of red ones – more so by Angelenos.

Funny thing is, it’s not even 3AM (not late by my standards) and I’m sleepy as fuck as all things are plagued by a dab of irony.

- Lucio

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't help feeling guilty on my nights out lately because I don't have anything I toil in regularly. I'm not getting away form anything. i have it real easy. It feels like I need something rough to make those nights seems better.
Or I could just be thinking too much about the wrong stuff like an idiot instead of appreciating how good i have it. hmmmm

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home