Monday, April 17, 2006

La Lucha...

Lately, I’ve been floundering my writing prowess in a way that should never be attempted or perfectly executed as I’ve manage to do so these past weeks, months. The logical & valid yet unacceptable excuse of ‘lack of time’ can easily explain the debacle of my current state of writing – or lack thereof.


Certain events within the last few weeks have left a lasting desire to put some words together in form of a constructed blog piece – where introspection through the reflection on the mirror of Los Angeles, American, Human(e), Chicano life form a nugget of knowledge that’s attainable and real.


All hoopla aside, it’s been an interesting last few weeks. Life continues to roll and as I’ve seen the movie ‘V for Vendetta’ I too dismiss the theory of coincidence. In this moment in time, that being the overwhelming sense that a revolution would be nice right about now, but as such unlikely. A few weeks ago, I was watching the championship game of the first ever World Baseball Classic, which for all intent & purpose is the real World Series of baseball. This may not be significant to the average Joe considering the fact that baseball’s reputation is in a continuing state of chaos – not to mention that most Americans can’t fathom sitting through an entire baseball game (it’s a game of strategy folks), but I found it ironic that the U.S. team did not make it to the championship game – yes, the World championship of the national pass time was being played on American soil, San Diego no less, by two foreign countries – Japan & Cuba.


No, I didn’t make that up, yes Japan & Cuba. Just to add insult to irony, the big game involved Fidel’s anti-capitalist communist country versus Japan – Hiroshima anyone? I could go on about this, but the moral of the story here is that when a country can combine some talent and a lot of will, a powerhouse is destined to implode, the ignorance of underestimation and the false belief of superiority will always succumb to the will of one that believes in him or herself more so than the next guy or chica. But as they say, all’s fair in love and baseball. A bit of a stretch? Remember, I don’t believe in coincidence. Side note: Mexico knocked the U.S. out of the tournament… Se pudo mis paisanos.


V for Vandetta… not since the days of Christopher Reeves as Superman did I think to myself, “When I grow up, I want to be that guy!” Many folks that subscribe to my school of thought are very much pacifists and so am I to a lesser extent. My school of thought being; human beings are naturally ‘good’ – Original Sin out the door like yeterday’s L.A. Times. But I’m with ‘V’ – a little violence can go a long way in the struggle for human rights… Gandhi was dope, but Che made him look like a fucken democrat in the House of Representatives… no balls. If you haven’t seen V for Vendetta… stop reading now, get in your car, drive to the nearest theater (Laemmle’s preferably), buy a ticket, a cup of coffee, some gummy bears, and make like a sponge for the next two hours. Your conscious will thank you and in turn, you’ll thank me tomorrow.


The immigrant issue – really, since when is racism okay? Oh yea, whenever the economy is in shambles and/or Septemeber 11 – good ol’ 9/11. There’s absolutely nothing I can say about this issue that hasn’t already been said. Commenting further will not only upset me, but make me feel like the 6th grader trying to prove to the 1st grader that Santa doesn’t exist – no need for to replay an exercise in futility. But still – my people have risen. I forgot who knocked the U.S. out of the World Baseball Classic?


Se pudo…

- Lucito

1 Comments:

Blogger Fajita said...

First off...dope ass picture! It really captures the essence of the issue explored in your blog. I especially like your reflections on the World Baseball Classic. I feel like I don't hear enough social/political analysis of sports from a fans perspective...necessary and well done. I anxiously await the next entry...

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home